Friday, July 10, 2009

What the hell are we doing in Texas?

Other than melting I mean. The South West is a billion degrees.
Time for another quick run through of what we've done and I'll try not to leave out the good parts.
The second day we were in Irvine we went to a house party that was full of drama. Aaron, Adam, and I avoided it, enjoyed the night the best we could while people yelled at each other and at least one person got smacked in the face. Awesome.
The next day we went to Hollywood, Venice Beach, and then Long Beach for the night. I fell in love, we drank too much, invented the words Friggie Back Rides, Trippie Back Rides, and I lounged in a bush. Then we went to Oliver and Brittany's place for dancing and wine and it was awesome.
The next day we went to the San Diego zoo. I want to eat a zebra. Yes, I know I'm not very good at not eating meat if that's the case. We then went to San Diego for some awesome Italian food at a place I can't remember the name of. I head some awesome eggplant Parmesan. It was nice to but full. We headed back to Long Beach and watched the Hangover. The next day we were going to Vegas, it seemed fitting.
But Vegas turned out to be mostly dead. We all left losers and we didn't really sin with the best of them. I realize now we did it all wrong. We aren't millionaires, we should've gotten drunk and went to a club, we would've saved money that way. Instead all I have are a bunch of cars with naked ladies and their numbers on them. it bust be weird to be a thirty-five dollar special though.
The next day we drove to the north rim of the Grand Canyon. I got a speeding ticket on the way, go out of state plates. The Grand Canyon is beyond words though. I would explain, but go, see it. Drink in the width with your eyes and if you have words enough to explain it than you are far better with words than I. I will say only this though, the colors are beyond what I would have imagined from rocks. We live in kaleidoscopes from time to time.
After that we drove to Flagstaff Arizona and slept at a Walmart parking lot. No place like home. In the morning I would be given a magazine called awake. Never trusted a pretty blond woman with blue eyes in a Walmart parking lot at ten am. They're only going to give you Christian propaganda.
We went to Slide Rock in Sedona. We jumped off rocks into water for the second time this trip, it felt good and right and I was happy to do it again. I'm no long afraid to do flips off of twenty or so high jumps. In face I prefer it. It feels awesome.
After that we went to my cousin Jake's place in Tempe. It had been in the neighborhood of thirteen years since we'd seen each other. It was good to catch up. We had BBQ for the fourth of July and he took us for a ride in his M3 and I think I finally understand the appeal of Techno music, though I still don't like it usually. He, his roommate Cody, and his other roommate John were more than nice to us. His house is ludicrous as well, it has two projection screens and that just doesn't make sense to me. We watched into the Blue and fireworks from his rooftop. I was tired and went to sleep early, but Adam has a story to tell if he ever feels like it. I'll leave that to him.
The next day, after breakfast, we went to Salt River rafting with Cody. I was upset that Jake didn't come but such is his prerogative (did I really just use that word? What kind of asshole am I?). it was a good time, we floated down river and drank a couple of beers and we were all brown by the end of it. A man yelled at me that a rag is not a hat, and he thought I was Arab. I told him it was my shirt. People are miracles.
After that we went to a guys place who I've forgotten the name of. It was swanky as hell, but I don't care too much for that sort of stuff. I can see how it's appealing though, I don't know. I'm of a million minds on everything, I don't think that'll ever change.
We left for a dead bar and then I ate at a In n Out for the first time in my life. Awesome.
Following Tempe we drove to Roswell. Roswell is all about it's aliens, as well it should be. We checked out the museum for UFOs and then we went to what we thought would be an alien themed cafe called Out Of This World. The world Heavenly was underneath it though, and there's something about Christianity that doesn't make sense to me in Roswell.
After Roswell we went to Carlsbad to go to the Carlsbad caverns. We walked through it and caves are amazing. I tried to take photographs without flash and that didn't go so hot. We watched the bats spill out of the cave and chaos never seemed more orderly. All those bodies moving in the same motion and you would expect to hear the noise of wings but it's silent. It's quiet like church mice.
After Carlsbad we headed for Austin. We slept again in a Walmart parking lot. In the morning we got an oil change and headed on to Austin. We went into a movie theater to see Transformers 2, which sucked, and then snuck into Public Enemy, which also sucked. But we spent three fifty per movie, and that's awesome. Afterwards we went to Ruby's BBQ where they had okay jambalaya and played Jawbreaker. It was awesome.
After that we went to Sixth street. We had a beer each. Then we left. Austin would be fun but I think we were all just out of it.
And then yesterday we went to Dallas. It was hot. On the way we took a shower for the first time since Tempe. I was glad to be clean. In Dallas we went to a sculpture park and Aaron decided that he would leave in New Orleans. I'm sad to know he'll be leaving, but it's his decision. It just means that we really need to pack the week before he leaves full of awesome. After the sculpture park we went to a place called Jake's. Not my cousin's. It was full of pretty girls, just like the rest of the South West. We had three dollar Margaritas, then we went and played pool for the rest of the night. We had cheap Mexican food and afterward we left towards Oklahoma City. I pulled the car off at a picnic area and we spent the morning there. It was nice and shaded and what I wanted. Then we left and here we are in a Starbucks somewhere between Dallas and Oklahoma city and I miss every a lot and I can't wait to be home, but I also never want this trip to end.
And that's what's happened so far. I think i got most everything, but I'm hyped up on caffeine and antsy and ready for another great adventure today.
Take car everyone.
With love from the road.
Signed,

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment